Ottawa Library welcomes patrons ages 12-18 to use the gaming system in The Cave. Gaming is offered to encourage the public, especially the youth, to visit the library and to expose them to the vast array of services available at the library. This opportunity was made possible in part by the State Library of Kansas Library Services and Technology Act and the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Anyone using the library’s gaming system should read the Gaming Policy, Internet Policy, and the Patron Code of Conduct Policy. Any damages that occur to the library’s space and equipment will be the responsibility of the patron checking out the materials according to the library’s Circulation Policy.
Gaming Rules and Guidelines
- All games, controllers, and accessories will be checked out at the Children’s department desk.
- Patron must have a valid library card, in good standing, to check out games, controllers, and accessories.
- The patron checking out the materials takes full responsibility for any damages that occur to the items during check out in accordance with Ottawa Library’s Circulation Policy.
- Items check out for a one-hour time limit. If the system is in use, register at the Children’s Department desk and staff will inform you when it is your turn. If there is no one waiting to use the system, play may continue for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Users must end play immediately at the request of a library staff member.
- All items must be returned and the gaming system shut down 15 minutes before closing.
- Gaming availability is limited and may not be available at all times the library is open. Gaming time limits are at the sole discretion of the library staff.
- Gamers will respect others and keep the volume and noise level low. Disruptive behavior, including foul language, will result in the patron’s loss of gaming privileges for a length of time determined by library staff and the Ottawa Library Director in accordance with the Ottawa Library’s Patron Code of Conduct Policy.
- All games must be rated T (teen) or lower.
- Patrons are allowed to use their own controller, accessories, and games (rated Teen or lower) pending approval from a library staff member. Abusing this privilege and/or not receiving prior approval may result in loss of gaming privileges. Ottawa Library assumes no responsibility for any damage or loss to the patron’s personal belongings brought to the Ottawa Library.